• Tired
  • Drunk
  • Shy
  • Piratey

Thread: Intermitant Starting Problem

Mood:
      ----

Intermitant Starting Problem

Does anyone have any experience of the problem I am having, I have a 55 plate Vectra C 1.9 (150 bhp) TDCI SRI, in the last week on 2 occassions when I have started it it has stalled straight away and the the clutch has gone really stiff and then stuck on the floor, leaving me unable to engage the gears, . I can lift the clutch back up and then engage it properly and the car starts and works Ok for a few days, then it happens again. On the occassions this happens there seems to be a lot of vibration in the engine when I start it. The clutch and dual mass Fly wheel were replaced 18 months ago, about 20k ago. I could do with an idea of what is causing this becaue if it is anything to do with the clutch the garage that fitted it can sort it.

GSI Poster
      Mood:
      Tired

sounds like the DMF is going , jamming up the clutch

SRI Poster
      Mood:
      ----

sounds more like the pressure is being lost in the hydraulic clutch , if no fluid is being lost then master cylinder might be on the way out .

GSI Poster
      Mood:
      Tired

either way its a gearbox off job so do the clutch and DMF while its off eh ?

SRI Poster
      Mood:
      ----

slave is a box off job , master isn't as it's attached to the pedal , all depends if the fluid is being lost.

GSI Poster
      Mood:
      Tired

never known a master cylinder go but theres always a first i guess

Mood:
      ----

What is the DMF, sorry for being a mechanical dimwit. The Slave cylinder was replaced when the Clutch was done, but we aren't sure if the Master was, he has to go through his records. I will give him a ring tomorrow, the clutch is only 18 months old so I shouldn't be having problms with it. How much do you think it would be to replace the Master Cylinder if it is that.

Mood:
      ----

Googled the DMF that was done 18 months ago and I am not experiencing the vibration I was getting last time it went, so I don't think it is that. It doesn't look like it is losing any fluid. Also when the Slave cylinder went on my last Vectra that didn't stop the car starting, like is happening this time. When it happens the car won't start until you lift the clutch up back into its raised position and then re engage it. It is going to be a problem getting it diagnosed until what ever it is fails completely as it only happens once a week at most.